Thursday, December 20, 2018

My 2018 Book List

A few years ago, I joined Goodreads.  I rediscovered the habit of perusing pages and have joined a reading challenge every year since.  My reading challenge number fluctuates, but my love of books has only deepened.  Here are some of the books I've had the privilege of exploring this year:

Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary
I found this lying in a box to be sorted through and thought I'd pick it up and revisit my childhood.  A sweet and wholesome perspective on life as a female first-grader.

The Fairytale Girl by Susan Branch
Book 1 of a three-part illustrated memoir.  Thoroughly enjoyed reading about her time in San Luis Obispo, California, and her growth as a woman.  She intentionally made room for her passions through the challenging times.  Blessed by her courage to share her talents with others.
Classic Style by Kate Schelter
How I loved this book.  The gorgeous watercolors, the list of favorites featured by various designers and artists...Kate's fresh insight on classic American style resonated with my taste for old cars, striped shirts, and strappy sandals in the summer.

Capital Gaines by Chip Gaines
"I'm convinced that seeing the bad in the world and in people isn't difficult or wise or insightful - it's lazy.  Finding the good in every scenario typically takes a lot more work.  But the rewards of peace and joy and hope are so worth the effort." Love his proclivity for optimism and courage :)

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
I believe it was Anne's daughter who said she reads this volume once a year.  I enjoyed Anne's thoughts on womanhood and the changing of the seasons in nature and in one's life.

QBQ by John G. Miller
This was required reading from work as part of our onboarding process.  Bottom line: take ownership for your role at work.  Easy and short read with good nuggets to pocket.

The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
One of our married small group selections this year.  My husband and I had read this book years prior, but going through it again with other couples was definitely fun and refreshing.

Everybody Always by Bob Goff
I was so excited to read this since I was such a fan of Bob's first book, Love Does.  If there's one thing Bob Goff knows how to do, it's inspiring others to love people well.  Easy five stars.

The Greatest Miracle in the World by Og Mandino
In the late 90's I was introduced to Og Mandino's "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by a couple we partnered with in a multi-level marketing company.  So long ago, ha!  Well, his writings made an impression and I came across this book at work recently and was intrigued.  One of the best volumes I've read in a long time.  A great stocking stuffer because of its pint size, too.

Better Together by Rusty George
Rusty is a pastor from Valencia, California who is a close friend of our pastor's and was invited to speak earlier in the year.  Love his humor and message of staying in close community with others.

Life in Motion by Misty Copeland
A library selection that I truly enjoyed.  I had admired Misty's journey in the ballet world from afar and was glad to get a closer glimpse of her courageous steps towards the title of female Principal Dancer at the American Ballet Theatre in New York City, the first African American to achieve this title in 2015.  This was a Young Reader's edition that I didn't intend to check out originally, but am so glad I did.

Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams by Susan Branch
Susan Branch!  I've been savoring her books for the past 2 years and I'm grateful that there are many more to digest.  Her illustrations and true life stories are delightful!  According to the Danish, the word 'hygge' means a mood of coziness and comfort; Susan's books are just that.

If You Only Knew by Jamie Ivey
I don't know how I learned of Jamie.  Possibly through social media.  Her upbeat nature and noted podcast influenced my desire to search out her new book.  She is a braveheart, inviting us in to her personal tale of heartbreak, then triumph through Christ.

Le Road Trip by Vivian Swift
When memoirs include travel chronicles and whimsical illustrations, it's difficult for me to turn away.  I picked this up at the library excited to be whisked away through the author's journals of her time in France.  Perhaps it was not what I expected or perhaps I didn't love her writing style, but this was a bit of a challenge to finish. 

Anxious For Nothing by Max Lucado
I feel like it took forever to complete this book.  I now know that it's because it required so much application from my heart and mind.  Not a book to zip through.  Lucado gently maps out God's way of dealing with anxiety and fear through a bounty of scripture and wisdom.  Short read with a study guide towards the end.  I think it's an essential read for our times.

Coach Wooden by Pat Williams
Coach John Wooden continues to mentor and inspire with his legacy of faith and 7 point creed passed down to him from his father.  Simple and profound, many today carry this creed around in their pockets just as Wooden did, serving as a guideline for life:

1. Be true to yourself.
2. Help others.
3. Make each day your masterpiece.
4. Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
5. Make friendship a fine art.
6. Build a shelter against a rainy day by the life you live.
7. Pray for guidance and counsel, and give thanks for your blessings each day.

Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon
I like Reese Witherspoon and love Southern culture. This is a beautiful book with Reese highlighting her life in Nashville and nurtured raising in the hospitable South.  Lots of authentic recipes to taste and share at your next gathering, too.

The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller
Currently reading.

Cultivate by Lara Casey
Currently reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment